The Healthy Planet Radio Show.
The Healthy Planet Radio Show has been airing on WUSB, 90.1 FM since January of 2007. It immediately follows Democracy Now! during “drive time,” from 6 to 7 PM. Now airing on the first and second Fridays of each month, HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto brings you twice as much empowering, life-and-world-changing information as before!
WUSB is Long Island’s largest non-commercial, free-form radio station. The signal can be heard at 90.1 FM on most of Long Island, and in Southern Connecticut, parts of NYC (Brooklyn and Queens), and Westchester County. It also simulcasts on 107.3 FM to reach Stony Brook University campus. It can be heard over the Internet 24/7, on www.WUSB.FM.
vs Our Climate & Environment
With Elizabeth Moran:
New York Policy Advocate with Earthjustice
LISTEN HERE: Cryptocurrency vs Our Climate & Environment with Earthjustice’s Elizabeth Moran
If you’re like most, you’ve likely heard that cryptocurrencies are all the rage, are growing rapidly, and have become a significant force in financial markets across the globe. And if you’re like most people, you also probably don’t understand exactly what cryptocurrencies are and how they’re created or “mined.”
Join HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto for a discussion with Earthjustice’s NY Policy Advocate, Elizabeth Moran on the climate/environmental impacts of cryptocurrencies.
In addition to providing a 101 course on these new currencies, this discussion reveals how “proof of work” cryptocurrency mining (used by Bitcoin) is highly energy-intensive to the point that it’s threatening our efforts to reduce our collective carbon footprint on a global scale. For example, according to the Cambridge Bitcoin Electricity Consumption Index, Bitcoin already consumes more energy than the whole of Argentina, with a population of 45 million.
Tune in to hear:
•What cryptocurrency “mining” is and how these currencies compare to credit cards, standard currencies and other forms of payment.
• What “proof of work” crypto mining is and how alternative mining methods can reduce the process’s energy consumption by more than 99%–while performing the same function!
• How crypto mining is growing in NY State, and why many environmental groups are now petitioning for a moratorium on its growth until the risks can be fully assessed.
• How just one cryptocurrency operation can create more electronic waste than an entire iPhone.
• How entire fossil fuel-burning power plants are being taken out of mothballs to power the electricity demands of cryptocurrency mining.
• How crypto mining in NY State may be threatening jobs in some of our largest upstate industries.
and much more…
(SEE BELOW FOR USEFUL “RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES”)
About Elizabeth Moran:
Liz Moran is Earthjustice’s New York Policy Advocate. She brings to the organization a decade of experience organizing communities and advocating for bold environmental policies in the halls of Albany.
Prior to joining Earthjustice, Liz served as the Environmental Policy Director with the New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG). There, she led the organization’s campaigns on fighting climate change, protecting water quality, and reducing solid waste. Before returning to NYPIRG, Liz worked at Environmental Advocates of New York as their Water & Natural Resources Director from 2014 to 2018. In that capacity, she led the organization’s advocacy efforts on fracking, water pollution, land use and conservation, and invasive species issues.
Over the course of her career, by working alongside impacted communities, her efforts have led to numerous victories, including the creation of New York’s multibillion dollar Clean Water Infrastructure Act, the adoption of New York’s drinking water standards for PFOA, PFOS, and 1,4-dioxane, the closure of New York’s hazardous waste loophole for oil and gas waste, and more.
Follow Liz Moran: Twitter @LizAGMoran, Facebook @liz.moran.71.
Thank you for sharing this show with your friends and family!
If you learned from, enjoyed, or grew from listening to this and other HealthyPlanet radio shows over the past 15 years, please show your support for our 501c3 nonprofit health and environmental work by making a tax-deductible contribution and becoming a HealthyPlanet member. This is a team effort, and you are part of our team!
Related Links and Resources:
- Earthjustice: Because The Earth Needs A Good LawyerOpens in a new tab
- Groups released letter with over 600 signatures to implore NY Governor Hochul to lead the nation on this emerging climate threatOpens in a new tab
- Earthjustice: How Bitcoin is Heating This Lake and Warming the PlanetOpens in a new tab
- The Hill: Cryptocurrency makes the climate crisis worseOpens in a new tab
- Cryptocurrency Has a Huge Negative Impact on Climate ChangeOpens in a new tab
SOME PAST GUESTS ON THE HEALTHY PLANET RADIO SHOW
- Eric Adams, Brooklyn Borough President, Four-Term State Senator, Retired Police Captain
- Dr Michael Klaper, author, diet & health expert of Moving Medicine Forward
- Neal D. Barnard, MD, FACC of the Physician’s Committee For Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of Disease-Proof Your Child and many more.
- Thomas Falcone, Chief Executive Officer of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA)
- Gavin A. Schmidt, climatologist, Director NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Climate Scientist
- T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., author of The China Study
- Terry Tamminen, author of Lives Per Gallon
- Randall S. Abate, author of Climate Change And The Voiceless, inaugural Rechnitz Family Endowed Chair in Marine and Environmental Law and Policy and a Professor in the Department of Political Science and Sociology
- Todd Winant, author of Earth Voice, Food Choice
- David Doniger, Senior Strategic Director Climate & Clean Energy Program Natural Resources Defense Council
- Caldwell B. Esselstyn, MD, author of Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Adrienne Esposito, Co-Founder Citizens Campaign For The Environment
- Karen Ranzi, author of Creating Healthy Children Through Attachment Parenting and Raw Foods
- Zoltan Rona, MD, MSc, author of Vitamin D: The Sunshine Vitamin
- Gordian Raacke of Renewable Energy Long Island,
- Brian Clement of The Hippocrates Institute
- Paul Getsos, National Director of the People’s Climate Movement
- Karen Perry Stillerman, senior analyst, in the Food and Environment Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists
- Jonathan Balcombe, Biologist, Author & Director of Animal Sentience, the Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy
- Chuck Kutscher, Center Director, Buildings and Thermal Systems at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- David Goldston, The Director of Government Affairs for the Natural Resources Defense Council
- Karen Davis, PhD Founder and President of United Poultry Concerns
- Janice Nolen, Assistant Vice President, National Policy for the American Lung Association
- Alex Beauchamp, Food & Water Watch’s Northeast Region Director
- Brigitte Mars, author of The Home Reference to Holistic Health and Healing, and many more
- Will Tuttle, visionary educator and author of The World Peace Diet
- Gerald Iversen, founder of Simple Living Works
- Hope Bohanec, author of The Ultimate Betrayal: Is There Happy Meat?
- Brenda Davis, RD, author, past chair Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- David Robinson Simon, author Meatonomics: The Bizarre Economics of Meat and Dairy
- Robin Helfritch, Founding Director of Open the Cages Alliance and the Vegan Living Program
- Julie M. Simon, author The Emotional Eater’s Repair Manual
- Vesanto Melina, RD, nutrition expert, co-author of Becoming Raw and the Raw Food Revolution Diet and many more
- Michael Greger, MD, author, internationally recognized speaker of NutritionFacts.org
- Dawn Moncrief, Founder and Executive Director of the non-profit organization, A Well-Fed World
- Jeff Gohringer, National Press Secretary of the League of Conservation Voters
- Carol Murphy, Executive Director of the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY)
- Dr. Steve Blake, author of Understanding Dietary Fats and Oils: A Scientific Guide to their Health Effects, and 28 other books
- Justin Van Kleek, freelance writer, educator, community organizer.
- Demosthenes Maratos, Sustainability Institute Communications Director
- Paul Gallay, Riverkeeper’s Executive Director and Hudson Riverkeeper
- Bill Freese, Center for Food Policy’s Science Policy Analyst
- Michael Parrish DuDell, Managing Editor of ecomagination.com
- Dr Alan Goldhamer, founder of the TrueNorth Health Center, author of The Health Promoting Cookbook and many more
- Mike Hudak, Enviro Advocate, author Western Turf Wars: The Politics of Public Lands Ranching
- Tim VanOrden, elite athlete and creator of the Running Raw Project
- Brett Cotter, Founder, CEO Stress is gone, LLC
- Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D., senior nutritionist The Cancer Project, co-author The Cancer Survivor’s Guide
- Michael Weber, Farm Animal Reform Movement Campaign Coordinator
- Steve Meyrowitz, The Sproutman, author of many books
- Nneka Leiba, Environmental Health Researcher for the Environmental working group
- Paul McRandal, National Resources Defense Council
- Barbara Loe Fisher, Co-Founder and President of the National Vaccine Information Center
- Ryan Zinn, the National Campaign Coordinator for the Organic Consumer Association
Ashok Gupta, senior energy economist and director of NRDC’s Air and Energy Program
Justin Van Kleeck, community organizer. Founder the Triangle Chicken Advocates microsanctuary
- Connie Spence, founder of The Vegan Justice League
- Eric Weltman, senior organizer Food and Water Watch
- Cate Rodgers, The Climate Reality Project
- Sarah Anker, Suffolk County Legislator
- William McKeever, Author Emperors Of The Deep: Sharks–The Ocean’s Most Mysterious, Most Misunderstood, & Most Important Guardians
- Jay Best, environmental scientist and engineer, founder and president of Green Team Long Island
- Dhar Jamail, award-winning journalist & author The End of Ice: Bearing Witness and Finding Meaning in the Path of Climate Disruption.
- Dr. Sailesh Rao, Founder/Exec. Director Climate Healers, Author two books, Producer of Cowspiracy, What the Health & Others.
- Brendan DeMelle, Executive Director DeSmog
- Lauren Ornelas, Founder/President, Food Empowerment Project
- Rob Herring, Producer/Director of The Need To Grow film
- Robyn Engman, R.D. Registered Dietician and Trained Chef with Nutrition In Motion
Marisa Miller Wolfson, Film creator, long time activist and co-author of the book, Vegucated Family Table
- Ali Tabrizi, Film Director Seaspiracy
- Joel Levin, Executive Director, Plug In America
- Karl Grossman, Award-winning investigative journalist, author of six books, longtime environmental and anti-nuclear activist/educator.
- Elizabeth Moran, NY Policy Advocate, Earthjustice
Hear The Healthy Planet Radio Show twice monthly at 6PM, with Bob DiBenedetto on the first and second Friday of each month, on WUSB, 90.1FM, or Live Stream at: http://wusb.fm/
Free of charge, and rich with information and inspiration!
The Healthy Planet Radio show focuses on topics that will help to educate you about the deep connection among all life on Earth, and the powerful effects your everyday choices can have on creating a clean, healthy and compassionate world.
Listen, learn, grow, join us in making a difference!