The Healthy Planet Radio Show.
The Healthy Planet Radio Show has been airing on WUSB, 90.1 FM since January of 2007. It immediately follows Democracy Now! during “drive time,” from 6 to 7 PM. Now airing on the first and second Fridays of each month, HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto brings you twice as much empowering, life-and-world-changing information as before!
WUSB is Long Island’s largest non-commercial, free-form radio station. The signal can be heard at 90.1 FM on most of Long Island, and in Southern Connecticut, parts of NYC (Brooklyn and Queens), and Westchester County. It also simulcasts on 107.3 FM to reach Stony Brook University campus. It can be heard over the Internet 24/7, on www.WUSB.FM.
LONG ISLAND OFFSHORE WIND:
Exciting Developments On Our Horizon: For Our Health, Environment, and Economy.
With ADRIENNE ESPOSITO
Co-Founder Citizen’s Campaign For The Environment
LISTEN HERE: Long Island Offshore Wind–A Discussion With Adrienne Esposito
According to a recent study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, globally, wind could supply worldwide electricity consumption 40 times over! While many parts of the world are already benefitting from the use of offshore wind, the US has lagged behind. This has happened despite the best efforts of environmentalists, public health advocates, and more.
The good news is that the wait is over, and Long Island is on its way to becoming a leader in US offshore wind! Not only do we have abundant offshore wind resources in the vicinity of millions of residents, but we have state leadership that has set goals of 70% renewable energy by 2030 and 100% carbon-free electrical generation by 2040. Offshore wind will be a key player in meeting those goals, while providing Long Islanders with clean, climate-friendly, price-stable, job-creating electricity for decades to come.
Join HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto for a conversation with Adrienne Esposito, Co-Founder of Citizens Campaign For The Environment (CCE). Adrienne and CCE have worked for many years to protect LI’s natural resources and public, while promoting large-scale renewable energy solutions. They will discuss not only the exciting potential of offshore wind, but the plans that are currently underway to translate that potential into solutions that will power more than one million homes!
Tune in to hear:
• How is climate change impacting Long Island, and what impacts can we expect in years and decades to come?
• Where does Long Island’s energy come from now?
• What offshore wind projects are moving forward, where will they be sited, and where will the power go?
• How much offshore wind power is available to New Yorkers?
• What is the cost of offshore wind vs the cost of fossil fuels?
• What environmental impacts will offshore wind have on our fisheries/wildlife?
• What is the source of the controversy over the South Fork wind farm cable connection in East Hampton?
• What part can offshore wind play in a green economy and job growth?
• How will the Biden administration’s recent announcement about national offshore wind goals and a new wind energy area off of NY impact the state’s offshore wind goals?
• What should individuals concerned about climate change and the health impacts of burning dirty fossil fuels do to support offshore wind?
(SEE BELOW FOR USEFUL “RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES”)
About Adrienne Esposito:
Adrienne holds a degree in Geology and Environmental Science from CW Post University. She is a co-founder of Citizens Campaign for the Environment (CCE) which started in 1985. CCE is a non-profit organization working in NY and CT to protect our natural resources and public health.
Adrienne and her staff conduct research, lobbying, and public education on diverse environmental campaigns, including advocating for state funding and upgrading failing sewage treatment systems, protection of drinking and surface water, remediation of toxic plumes, stewardship of land and water, support for large scale renewable energy projects, reduced pesticide application, fighting plastic pollution and more.
Thank you for sharing this show with your friends and family!
If you learned from, enjoyed, or grew from listening to this and other HealthyPlanet radio shows over the past 15 years, please show your support for our 501c3 nonprofit health and environmental work by making a tax-deductible contribution and becoming a HealthyPlanet member. This is a team effort, and you are part of our team!
Related Links and Resources:
- Citizens Campaign For The EnvironmentOpens in a new tab
- Wind Works Long IslandOpens in a new tab
- Biden Administration Approves 1st Major Offshore Wind Energy ProjectOpens in a new tab
- UN Report: Nature’s Dangerous Decline ‘Unprecedented’; Species Extinction Rates ‘Accelerating’Opens in a new tab
- CCE: Transitioning to Renewable EnergyOpens in a new tab
- Stanford study finds that wind energy output increases when people need heat the mostOpens in a new tab
- Fighting Climate Change with Offshore WindOpens in a new tab
- Offshore Wind 2021 UpdatesOpens in a new tab
- Citizens Campaign For The Environment on FacebookOpens in a new tab
- Greta Thunberg's Speech To The United NationsOpens in a new tab
SOME PAST GUESTS ON THE HEALTHY PLANET RADIO SHOW
- Eric Adams, Brooklyn Borough President, Four-Term State Senator, Retired Police Captain
- Dr Michael Klaper, author, diet & health expert of Moving Medicine Forward
- Neal D. Barnard, M.D. of the Physician’s Committee For Responsible Medicine
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of Disease-Proof Your Child and many more.
- Thomas Falcone, Chief Executive Officer of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA)
- Gavin A. Schmidt, climatologist, Director NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Climate Scientist
- T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., author of The China Study
- Terry Tamminen, author of Lives Per Gallon
- Randall S. Abate, author of Climate Change And The Voiceless, inaugural Rechnitz Family Endowed Chair in Marine and Environmental Law and Policy and a Professor in the Department of Political Science and Sociology
- Todd Winant, author of Earth Voice, Food Choice
- David Doniger, Senior Strategic Director Climate & Clean Energy Program Natural Resources Defense Council
- Caldwell B. Esselstyn, MD, author of Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Adrienne Esposito, Co-Founder Citizens Campaign For The Environment
- Karen Ranzi, author of Creating Healthy Children Through Attachment Parenting and Raw Foods
- Zoltan Rona, MD, MSc, author of Vitamin D: The Sunshine Vitamin
- Gordian Raacke of Renewable Energy Long Island,
- Brian Clement of The Hippocrates Institute
- Paul Getsos, National Director of the People’s Climate Movement
- Karen Perry Stillerman, senior analyst, in the Food and Environment Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists
- Jonathan Balcombe, Biologist, Author & Director of Animal Sentience, the Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy
- Chuck Kutscher, Center Director, Buildings and Thermal Systems at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- David Goldston, The Director of Government Affairs for the Natural Resources Defense Council
- Karen Davis, PhD Founder and President of United Poultry Concerns
- Janice Nolen, Assistant Vice President, National Policy for the American Lung Association
- Alex Beauchamp, Food & Water Watch’s Northeast Region Director
- Brigitte Mars, author of The Home Reference to Holistic Health and Healing, and many more
- Will Tuttle, visionary educator and author of The World Peace Diet
- Gerald Iversen, founder of Simple Living Works
- Hope Bohanec, author of The Ultimate Betrayal: Is There Happy Meat?
- Brenda Davis, RD, author, past chair Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- David Robinson Simon, author Meatonomics: The Bizarre Economics of Meat and Dairy
- Robin Helfritch, Founding Director of Open the Cages Alliance and the Vegan Living Program
- Julie M. Simon, author The Emotional Eater’s Repair Manual
- Vesanto Melina, RD, nutrition expert, co-author of Becoming Raw and the Raw Food Revolution Diet and many more
- Michael Greger, MD, author, internationally recognized speaker of NutritionFacts.org
- Dawn Moncrief, Founder and Executive Director of the non-profit organization, A Well-Fed World
- Jeff Gohringer, National Press Secretary of the League of Conservation Voters
- Carol Murphy, Executive Director of the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY)
- Dr. Steve Blake, author of Understanding Dietary Fats and Oils: A Scientific Guide to their Health Effects, and 28 other books
- Justin Van Kleek, freelance writer, educator, community organizer.
- Demosthenes Maratos, Sustainability Institute Communications Director
- Paul Gallay, Riverkeeper’s Executive Director and Hudson Riverkeeper
- Bill Freese, Center for Food Policy’s Science Policy Analyst
- Michael Parrish DuDell, Managing Editor of ecomagination.com
- Dr Alan Goldhamer, founder of the TrueNorth Health Center, author of The Health Promoting Cookbook and many more
- Mike Hudak, Enviro Advocate, author Western Turf Wars: The Politics of Public Lands Ranching
- Tim VanOrden, elite athlete and creator of the Running Raw Project
- Brett Cotter, Founder, CEO Stress is gone, LLC
- Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D., senior nutritionist The Cancer Project, co-author The Cancer Survivor’s Guide
- Michael Weber, Farm Animal Reform Movement Campaign Coordinator
- Steve Meyrowitz, The Sproutman, author of many books
- Nneka Leiba, Environmental Health Researcher for the Environmental working group
- Paul McRandal, National Resources Defense Council
- Barbara Loe Fisher, Co-Founder and President of the National Vaccine Information Center
- Ryan Zinn, the National Campaign Coordinator for the Organic Consumer Association
Ashok Gupta, senior energy economist and director of NRDC’s Air and Energy Program
Justin Van Kleeck, community organizer. Founder the Triangle Chicken Advocates microsanctuary
- Connie Spence, founder of The Vegan Justice League
- Eric Weltman, senior organizer Food and Water Watch
- Cate Rodgers, The Climate Reality Project
- Sarah Anker, Suffolk County Legislator
- William McKeever, Author Emperors Of The Deep: Sharks–The Ocean’s Most Mysterious, Most Misunderstood, & Most Important Guardians
- Jay Best, environmental scientist and engineer, founder and president of Green Team Long Island
- Dhar Jamail, award-winning journalist & author The End of Ice: Bearing Witness and Finding Meaning in the Path of Climate Disruption.
- Dr. Sailesh Rao, Founder/Exec. Director Climate Healers, Author two books, Producer of Cowspiracy, What the Health & Others.
- Brendan DeMelle, Executive Director DeSmog
- Lauren Ornelas, Founder/President, Food Empowerment Project
- Rob Herring, Producer/Director of The Need To Grow film
- Robyn Engman, R.D. Registered Dietician and Trained Chef with Nutrition In Motion
Marisa Miller Wolfson,
Film creator, long time activist and co-author of the book, Vegucated Family Table
- Ali Tabrizi, Film Director Seaspiracy
Hear The Healthy Planet Radio Show twice monthly at 6PM, with Bob DiBenedetto on the first and second Friday of each month, on WUSB, 90.1FM, or Live Stream at: http://wusb.fm/
Free of charge, and rich with information and inspiration!
The Healthy Planet Radio show focuses on topics that will help to educate you about the deep connection among all life on Earth, and the powerful effects your everyday choices can have on creating a clean, healthy and compassionate world.
Listen, learn, grow, join us in making a difference!