The Healthy Planet Radio Show.
The Healthy Planet Radio Show has been airing on WUSB, 90.1 FM since January of 2007. It immediately follows Democracy Now! during “drive time,” from 6 to 7 PM. Now airing on the first and second Fridays of each month, HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto brings you twice as much empowering, life-and-world-changing information as before!
WUSB is Long Island’s largest non-commercial, free-form radio station. The signal can be heard at 90.1 FM on most of Long Island, and in Southern Connecticut, parts of NYC (Brooklyn and Queens), and Westchester County. It also simulcasts on 107.3 FM to reach Stony Brook University campus. It can be heard over the Internet 24/7, on www.WUSB.FM.
TWO LONG ISLANDERS WORKING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
• Payal Mehta – Community Solidarity
• Tim Karcich – Suffolk County Democratic Socialists of America
With Co-Host Jennifer Greene
LISTEN HERE: Long Islanders Taking Local Action for a Better World
In a world fraught with an array of challenges from the noticeably worsening climate crisis to the economic, personal, and societal disruption from COVID-19 to growing political division and increasing awareness of systemic racism, some are left feeling that there’s little they can do to make a measurable difference in the world.
Join HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto and co-host Jennifer Greene for a discussion with two Long Islanders, Payal Mehta and Tim Karcich, who have decided to contribute their energy to create the world they want to see. They will discuss how they are taking action by devoting their time to organizations that are addressing issues from hunger to climate change to assuring that ordinary people have a real voice in our workplaces, neighborhoods, and society.
Additionally, both of these change agents will share the story of when & why they saw fit to change their own lives by changing the food they eat and how that choice is intricately connected to the work they do in the world.
Payal Mehta is a 15 year resident of Long Island, a self-described “recovering corporate employee,” and an active volunteer with Community Solidarity for over four years. Community Solidarity is America’s largest vegetarian hunger relief organization whose goal is to end hunger, poverty, and homelessness. Community Solidarity helps thousands of families every week by sharing free plant-based groceries, clothing, books, toys, school supplies, and vegan hot meals.
Timothy Karcich is an educator and the co-chair of the Suffolk County Democratic Socialists of America, or DSA. DSA wants a democracy powered by everyday people and works on a variety of campaigns from Medicare For All, to The Green New Deal, to affordable housing for all, and much more.
(SEE BELOW FOR USEFUL “RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES”)
About Co-Host Jennifer Greene:
Jennifer Greene is a passionate advocate for democracy, environmental & economic justice, human and animal liberation and sees all of these as interrelated.
She is the founder of Vegan Long Island (which hosts an active Facebook forum) and has been invited by public libraries and community groups to speak about The How’s and Why’s of Going Vegan. Jennifer is also active with BLARG (Brookhaven Landfill Action and Remediation Group), an environmental justice group that grew out of the local Black Lives Matter movement, and Suffolk DSA (Democratic Socialists of America).
Thank you for sharing this show with your friends and family!
If you learned from, enjoyed, or grew from listening to this and other HealthyPlanet radio shows over the past 15 years, please show your support for our 501c3 nonprofit health and environmental work by making a tax-deductible contribution and becoming a HealthyPlanet member. This is a team effort, and you are part of our team!
SOME PAST GUESTS ON THE HEALTHY PLANET RADIO SHOW
- Eric Adams, Brooklyn Borough President, Four-Term State Senator, Retired Police Captain
- Dr Michael Klaper, author, diet & health expert of Moving Medicine Forward
- Neal D. Barnard, M.D. of the Physician’s Committee For Responsible Medicine
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of Disease-Proof Your Child and many more.
- Thomas Falcone, Chief Executive Officer of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA)
- Gavin A. Schmidt, climatologist, Director NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Climate Scientist
- T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., author of The China Study
- Terry Tamminen, author of Lives Per Gallon
- Randall S. Abate, author of Climate Change And The Voiceless, inaugural Rechnitz Family Endowed Chair in Marine and Environmental Law and Policy and a Professor in the Department of Political Science and Sociology
- Todd Winant, author of Earth Voice, Food Choice
- David Doniger, Senior Strategic Director Climate & Clean Energy Program Natural Resources Defense Council
- Caldwell B. Esselstyn, MD, author of Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Adrienne Esposito, Co-Founder Citizens Campaign For The Environment
- Karen Ranzi, author of Creating Healthy Children Through Attachment Parenting and Raw Foods
- Zoltan Rona, MD, MSc, author of Vitamin D: The Sunshine Vitamin
- Gordian Raacke of Renewable Energy Long Island,
- Brian Clement of The Hippocrates Institute
- Paul Getsos, National Director of the People’s Climate Movement
- Karen Perry Stillerman, senior analyst, in the Food and Environment Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists
- Jonathan Balcombe, Biologist, Author & Director of Animal Sentience, the Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy
- Chuck Kutscher, Center Director, Buildings and Thermal Systems at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- David Goldston, The Director of Government Affairs for the Natural Resources Defense Council
- Karen Davis, PhD Founder and President of United Poultry Concerns
- Janice Nolen, Assistant Vice President, National Policy for the American Lung Association
- Alex Beauchamp, Food & Water Watch’s Northeast Region Director
- Brigitte Mars, author of The Home Reference to Holistic Health and Healing, and many more
- Will Tuttle, visionary educator and author of The World Peace Diet
- Gerald Iversen, founder of Simple Living Works
- Hope Bohanec, author of The Ultimate Betrayal: Is There Happy Meat?
- Brenda Davis, RD, author, past chair Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- David Robinson Simon, author Meatonomics: The Bizarre Economics of Meat and Dairy
- Robin Helfritch, Founding Director of Open the Cages Alliance and the Vegan Living Program
- Julie M. Simon, author The Emotional Eater’s Repair Manual
- Vesanto Melina, RD, nutrition expert, co-author of Becoming Raw and the Raw Food Revolution Diet and many more
- Michael Greger, MD, author, internationally recognized speaker of NutritionFacts.org
- Dawn Moncrief, Founder and Executive Director of the non-profit organization, A Well-Fed World
- Jeff Gohringer, National Press Secretary of the League of Conservation Voters
- Carol Murphy, Executive Director of the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY)
- Dr. Steve Blake, author of Understanding Dietary Fats and Oils: A Scientific Guide to their Health Effects, and 28 other books
- Justin Van Kleek, freelance writer, educator, community organizer.
- Demosthenes Maratos, Sustainability Institute Communications Director
- Paul Gallay, Riverkeeper’s Executive Director and Hudson Riverkeeper
- Bill Freese, Center for Food Policy’s Science Policy Analyst
- Michael Parrish DuDell, Managing Editor of ecomagination.com
- Dr Alan Goldhamer, founder of the TrueNorth Health Center, author of The Health Promoting Cookbook and many more
- Mike Hudak, Enviro Advocate, author Western Turf Wars: The Politics of Public Lands Ranching
- Tim VanOrden, elite athlete and creator of the Running Raw Project
- Brett Cotter, Founder, CEO Stress is gone, LLC
- Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D., senior nutritionist The Cancer Project, co-author The Cancer Survivor’s Guide
- Michael Weber, Farm Animal Reform Movement Campaign Coordinator
- Steve Meyrowitz, The Sproutman, author of many books
- Nneka Leiba, Environmental Health Researcher for the Environmental working group
- Paul McRandal, National Resources Defense Council
- Barbara Loe Fisher, Co-Founder and President of the National Vaccine Information Center
- Ryan Zinn, the National Campaign Coordinator for the Organic Consumer Association
Ashok Gupta, senior energy economist and director of NRDC’s Air and Energy Program
Justin Van Kleeck, community organizer. Founder the Triangle Chicken Advocates microsanctuary
- Connie Spence, founder of The Vegan Justice League
- Eric Weltman, senior organizer Food and Water Watch
- Cate Rodgers, The Climate Reality Project
- Sarah Anker, Suffolk County Legislator
- William McKeever, Author Emperors Of The Deep: Sharks–The Ocean’s Most Mysterious, Most Misunderstood, & Most Important Guardians
- Jay Best, environmental scientist and engineer, founder and president of Green Team Long Island
- Dhar Jamail, award-winning journalist & author The End of Ice: Bearing Witness and Finding Meaning in the Path of Climate Disruption.
- Dr. Sailesh Rao, Founder/Exec. Director Climate Healers, Author two books, Producer of Cowspiracy, What the Health & Others.
- Brendan DeMelle, Executive Director DeSmog
- Lauren Ornelas, Founder/President, Food Empowerment Project
- Rob Herring, Producer/Director of The Need To Grow film
- Robyn Engman, R.D. Registered Dietician and Trained Chef with Nutrition In Motion
Marisa Miller Wolfson,Film creator, long time activist and co-author of the book, Vegucated Family Table
- Ali Tabrizi, Film Director Seaspiracy
Hear The Healthy Planet Radio Show twice monthly at 6PM, with Bob DiBenedetto on the first and second Friday of each month, on WUSB, 90.1FM, or Live Stream at: http://wusb.fm/
Free of charge, and rich with information and inspiration!
The Healthy Planet Radio show focuses on topics that will help to educate you about the deep connection among all life on Earth, and the powerful effects your everyday choices can have on creating a clean, healthy and compassionate world.
Listen, learn, grow, join us in making a difference!