The Healthy Planet Radio Show.
The Healthy Planet Radio Show has been airing on WUSB, 90.1 FM since January of 2007. It immediately follows Democracy Now! during “drive time,” from 6 to 7 PM. Now airing on the first and second Fridays of each month, HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto brings you twice as much empowering, life-and-world-changing information as before!
WUSB is Long Island’s largest non-commercial, free-form radio station. The signal can be heard at 90.1 FM on most of Long Island, and in Southern Connecticut, parts of NYC (Brooklyn and Queens), and Westchester County. It also simulcasts on 107.3 FM to reach Stony Brook University campus. It can be heard over the Internet 24/7, on www.WUSB.FM.
Fossil Fueling War, Russia, and The Climate Crisis
with Collin Rees
U.S. Program Manager at Oil Change International
LISTEN HERE: Fossil Fueling War, Russia and The Climate Crisis, with Collin Rees of Oil Change International
For over four months, our world has been attempting to cope with the many shockwaves from the Russian invasion of Ukraine. In addition to the enormous humanitarian crisis that’s left tens of thousands dead and injured, infrastructure, homes, and entire cities destroyed, this war has created global economic challenges ranging from a looming worldwide food shortage to soaring prices for fossil fuels. And Russia appears willing to use its food and fossil fuels to hold countries that are reliant upon them hostage.
This has led countries in the European Union to scramble to ensure that they have enough energy to power their cars, homes and industries–and looking forward, to warm their homes and buildings this coming winter. As a result, countries are seeking more fossil fuel imports from coal to liquid natural gas and more as a stop-gap measure to limit the potential damage from Russia’s energy blackmailing. But do more fossil fuels offer a viable solution to this challenging situation? Or are they in fact, the root cause of the problem?
Join HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto for a discussion with Collin Rees, the U.S. Program Manager at Oil Change International. They discuss the grim reality that both Putin’s economy and war machine, are largely fueled by the same fossil fuel exports that are causing millions of deaths from air pollution and the growing climate crisis.
Listen in to hear about the powerful near and long-term solutions to a world dangerously addicted to fossil fuels–the very substances that are destroying our life support system and fueling global conflict.
(SEE BELOW FOR USEFUL “RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES”)
About Collin Rees
Collin Rees is the U.S. Program Manager at Oil Change International working to stop the expansion of the fossil fuel industry, support grassroots resistance against dirty infrastructure, end public support for oil, gas, and coal, and wind down fossil fuel production with a just and equitable transition.
He has campaigned on climate and racial justice, labor issues, and new economic models for over a decade, spanning local to international levels. Prior to joining Oil Change, Collin worked to build the power of the student fossil fuel divestment movement at 350.org, and trained youth to run campaigns with the Energy Action Coalition (now the Power Shift Network). He campaigned at the international climate negotiations with youth advocacy group SustainUS and is now a Board member, and previously worked at the White House Council on Environmental Quality. Collin studied Mechanical & Materials Science Engineering at Harvard University, and lives in Portland, ME.
Thank you for sharing this show with your friends and family!
If you learned from, enjoyed, or grew from listening to this and other HealthyPlanet radio shows over the past 15 years, please show your support for our 501c3 nonprofit health and environmental work by making a tax-deductible contribution and becoming a HealthyPlanet member. This is a team effort, and you are part of our team!
SOME PAST GUESTS ON THE HEALTHY PLANET RADIO SHOW
- Eric Adams, Brooklyn Borough President, Four-Term State Senator, Retired Police Captain
- Dr Michael Klaper, author, diet & health expert of Moving Medicine Forward
- Neal D. Barnard, MD, FACC of the Physician’s Committee For Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of Disease-Proof Your Child and many more.
- Thomas Falcone, Chief Executive Officer of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA)
- Gavin A. Schmidt, climatologist, Director NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Climate Scientist
- T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., author of The China Study
- Terry Tamminen, author of Lives Per Gallon
- Randall S. Abate, author of Climate Change And The Voiceless, inaugural Rechnitz Family Endowed Chair in Marine and Environmental Law and Policy and a Professor in the Department of Political Science and Sociology
- Todd Winant, author of Earth Voice, Food Choice
- David Doniger, Senior Strategic Director Climate & Clean Energy Program Natural Resources Defense Council
- Caldwell B. Esselstyn, MD, author of Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Adrienne Esposito, Co-Founder Citizens Campaign For The Environment
- Karen Ranzi, author of Creating Healthy Children Through Attachment Parenting and Raw Foods
- Zoltan Rona, MD, MSc, author of Vitamin D: The Sunshine Vitamin
- Gordian Raacke of Renewable Energy Long Island,
- Brian Clement of The Hippocrates Institute
- Paul Getsos, National Director of the People’s Climate Movement
- Karen Perry Stillerman, senior analyst, in the Food and Environment Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists
- Jonathan Balcombe, Biologist, Author & Director of Animal Sentience, the Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy
- Chuck Kutscher, Center Director, Buildings and Thermal Systems at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- David Goldston, The Director of Government Affairs for the Natural Resources Defense Council
- Karen Davis, PhD Founder and President of United Poultry Concerns
- Janice Nolen, Assistant Vice President, National Policy for the American Lung Association
- Alex Beauchamp, Food & Water Watch’s Northeast Region Director
- Brigitte Mars, author of The Home Reference to Holistic Health and Healing, and many more
- Will Tuttle, visionary educator and author of The World Peace Diet
- Gerald Iversen, founder of Simple Living Works
- Hope Bohanec, author of The Ultimate Betrayal: Is There Happy Meat?
- Brenda Davis, RD, author, past chair Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- David Robinson Simon, author Meatonomics: The Bizarre Economics of Meat and Dairy
- Robin Helfritch, Founding Director of Open the Cages Alliance and the Vegan Living Program
- Julie M. Simon, author The Emotional Eater’s Repair Manual
- Vesanto Melina, RD, nutrition expert, co-author of Becoming Raw and the Raw Food Revolution Diet and many more
- Michael Greger, MD, author, internationally recognized speaker of NutritionFacts.org
- Dawn Moncrief, Founder and Executive Director of the non-profit organization, A Well-Fed World
- Jeff Gohringer, National Press Secretary of the League of Conservation Voters
- Carol Murphy, Executive Director of the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY)
- Dr. Steve Blake, author of Understanding Dietary Fats and Oils: A Scientific Guide to their Health Effects, and 28 other books
- Justin Van Kleek, freelance writer, educator, community organizer.
- Demosthenes Maratos, Sustainability Institute Communications Director
- Paul Gallay, Riverkeeper’s Executive Director and Hudson Riverkeeper
- Bill Freese, Center for Food Policy’s Science Policy Analyst
- Michael Parrish DuDell, Managing Editor of ecomagination.com
- Dr Alan Goldhamer, founder of the TrueNorth Health Center, author of The Health Promoting Cookbook and many more
- Mike Hudak, Enviro Advocate, author Western Turf Wars: The Politics of Public Lands Ranching
- Tim VanOrden, elite athlete and creator of the Running Raw Project
- Brett Cotter, Founder, CEO Stress is gone, LLC
- Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D., senior nutritionist The Cancer Project, co-author The Cancer Survivor’s Guide
- Michael Weber, Farm Animal Reform Movement Campaign Coordinator
- Steve Meyrowitz, The Sproutman, author of many books
- Nneka Leiba, Environmental Health Researcher for the Environmental working group
- Paul McRandal, National Resources Defense Council
- Barbara Loe Fisher, Co-Founder and President of the National Vaccine Information Center
- Ryan Zinn, the National Campaign Coordinator for the Organic Consumer Association
Ashok Gupta, senior energy economist and director of NRDC’s Air and Energy Program
Justin Van Kleeck, community organizer. Founder the Triangle Chicken Advocates microsanctuary
- Connie Spence, founder of The Vegan Justice League
- Eric Weltman, senior organizer Food and Water Watch
- Cate Rodgers, The Climate Reality Project
- Sarah Anker, Suffolk County Legislator
- William McKeever, Author Emperors Of The Deep: Sharks–The Ocean’s Most Mysterious, Most Misunderstood, & Most Important Guardians
- Jay Best, environmental scientist and engineer, founder and president of Green Team Long Island
- Dhar Jamail, award-winning journalist & author The End of Ice: Bearing Witness and Finding Meaning in the Path of Climate Disruption.
- Dr. Sailesh Rao, Founder/Exec. Director Climate Healers, Author two books, Producer of Cowspiracy, What the Health & Others.
- Brendan DeMelle, Executive Director DeSmog
- Lauren Ornelas, Founder/President, Food Empowerment Project
- Rob Herring, Producer/Director of The Need To Grow film
- Robyn Engman, R.D. Registered Dietician and Trained Chef with Nutrition In Motion
Marisa Miller Wolfson, Film creator, long time activist and co-author of the book, Vegucated Family Table
- Ali Tabrizi, Film Director Seaspiracy
- Joel Levin, Executive Director, Plug In America
- Karl Grossman, Award-winning investigative journalist, author of six books, longtime environmental and anti-nuclear activist/educator.
- Collin Rees, US Program Manager, Oil Change International
Hear The Healthy Planet Radio Show twice monthly at 6PM, with Bob DiBenedetto on the first and second Friday of each month, on WUSB, 90.1FM, or Live Stream at: http://wusb.fm/
Free of charge, and rich with information and inspiration!
The Healthy Planet Radio show focuses on topics that will help to educate you about the deep connection among all life on Earth, and the powerful effects your everyday choices can have on creating a clean, healthy and compassionate world.
Listen, learn, grow, join us in making a difference!