The Healthy Planet Radio Show.
The Healthy Planet Radio Show has been airing on WUSB, 90.1 FM since January of 2007. It immediately follows Democracy Now! during “drive time,” from 6 to 7 PM. Now airing on the first and second Fridays of each month, HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto brings you twice as much empowering, life-and-world-changing information as before!
WUSB is Long Island’s largest non-commercial, free-form radio station. The signal can be heard at 90.1 FM on most of Long Island, and in Southern Connecticut, parts of NYC (Brooklyn and Queens), and Westchester County. It also simulcasts on 107.3 FM to reach Stony Brook University campus. It can be heard over the Internet 24/7, on www.WUSB.FM.
NUCLEAR POWER’S (ALMOST) HISTORY ON LI, AND THE CURRENT DANGERS FOR OUR WORLD
With Longtime Investigative Reporter, Author of six books, and Professor of Journalism:
LISTEN HERE: Nuclear Power’s History on Long Island, and Current Dangers to Our World with Karl Grossman
With more frequent and intense storms and unprecedented wildfires and droughts, even staunch climate change deniers are finding it harder and harder to stand behind the mistruths they’ve been spreading for decades. So what forms of clean energy will fill the vacuum left by polluting fossil fuels such as natural gas, oil, and coal? Some, minimizing the dangers, are suggesting that there’s a good case to expand our reliance upon nuclear power, despite it being more expensive than truly clean forms of energy from solar to wind and more.
Join HealthyPlanet’s Bob DiBenedetto for a discussion with Karl Grossman. Karl will give a first-hand description of Long Island’s nuclear power history and the misguided plans of decades past to bring this dangerous technology to an island where residents had no viable way of evacuating. Karl Grossman is a longtime investigative reporter, professor of journalism, and author of three books on nuclear power. He lived through and actively opposed the plans of the Long Island Lighting Company to transform Long Island into a “nuclear park” with nine or more nuclear plants. Listen to hear Karl describe the history of nuclear power on Long Island, as well as the dangers that this technology continues to pose to the world today–from nuclear weapons in space to a toxic waste legacy that will persist for millennia to come.
Listen To Hear:
• a first-hand account of how Long Island almost became a nuclear hub.
• the planned nuclearization of space and the dangers posed by sending plutonium via rockets into space.
• the role Karl played in rallying opposition to Robert Moses’s grand plan to build a four-lane highway on Fire Island.
• how opposition effectively stopped a planned nuclear power plant from being built in NY City.
• how the carbon-intensive nuclear fuel cycle is not climate-friendly.
• how deadly nuclear wastes produced today will last well beyond the typical lifespan of Earth’s longest-lived empires.
… and much more!
(SEE BELOW FOR USEFUL “RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES”)
About Karl Grossman:
I’ve specialized in doing investigative reporting in a variety of media for more than 50 years. I teach as well as practice journalism. I’m a full professor of journalism at the State University of New York/College at Old Westbury where my courses include Investigative Reporting and also Environmental Journalism.
For 30 years I’ve hosted the nationally-aired TV program Enviro Close-Up produced by the New York-based video production company EnviroVideo. I’ve written and presented TV documentaries for EnviroVideo. These have included Three Mile Island Revisited, The Push to Revive Nuclear Power and Nukes In Space: The Nuclearization and Weaponization of the Heavens. Click on EnviroVideo on this website to go to the EnviroVideo website to see my many EnviroVideo programs — and view programs online.
I have also been the chief investigative reporter for Long Island-based WVVH-TV (www.wvvh.com). My documentaries for WVVH have included Renewables Are More Than Ready and Organic Farming: Can It Feed Us? All my WVVH documentaries are up on www.youtube.com.
I’m the author of six books including Cover Up: What You Are Not Supposed to Know About Nuclear Power; Power Crazy; The Wrong Stuff: The Space Program’s Nuclear Threat to Our Planet and Weapons in Space. For a free download of the newest edition of Cover Up: What You Are Not Supposed to Know About Nuclear Power, just click on Books on this website and from it you will be able to, thanks to the publishers, receive gratis a download of the book with a new preface.
I’m active in doing investigative reporting on the Internet writing regularly on CounterPunch, NationofChange, CommonDreams, and OpEd News.
My column appears in Long Island weekly newspapers including The Southampton Press, The East Hampton Press, The Shelter Island Reporter, The Sag Harbor Express, Community Journal, the South Shore Press and on Long Island news websites including Smithtown Matters and Huntington Now.
I also write for the Manhattan Jewish Sentinel, Long Island Jewish World and Jewish Tribune. And I blog for The Times of Israel.
Honors I’ve received for journalism include the George Polk, Generoso Pope, James Aronson, Leo Goodman and John Peter Zenger Awards.
I’ve given presentations in the U.S. and around the world — focusing especially on energy and the environment — and I’m represented in lecture appearances by MacRae Speakers & Entertainment. I’ve also given presentations on the dangers of utilizing nuclear power and deploying weapons in space at the UN in Geneva and multiple times at the UN in New York. I’ve addressed members of the British Parliament twice on the space weapons issue.
My pieces have appeared in publications including The New York Times, USA Today, The Boston Globe, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Christian Science Monitor, Newsday, The Baltimore Sun, Cleveland Plain Dealer, The Progressive, Extra!, The Orlando Sentinel, The Ecologist, Earth Island Journal, E The Environmental Magazine, The Crisis, The Village Voice, Z Magazine, The Sun, Our Right To Know, Common Cause Magazine, In These Times, Environmental Action, Alternate Currents, The Montreal Mirror, The Boston Phoenix, Space News, The San Francisco Bay Guardian, Columbia Journalism Review, The Globe and Mail, CovertAction Quarterly and The Miami Herald.
Thank you for sharing this show with your friends and family!
If you learned from, enjoyed, or grew from listening to this and other HealthyPlanet radio shows over the past 15 years, please show your support for our 501c3 nonprofit health and environmental work by making a tax-deductible contribution and becoming a HealthyPlanet member. This is a team effort, and you are part of our team!
Related Links and Resources:
- KarlGrossman.comOpens in a new tab
- Beyond NuclearOpens in a new tab
- Karl Grossman's Enviro VideoOpens in a new tab
- Beyond Nuclear Fact SheetsOpens in a new tab
- Karl Grossman Article on Weaponizing SpaceOpens in a new tab
- Inside Climate News ScienceOpens in a new tab
- "Wind and Solar are Cheaper Than Everything"Opens in a new tab
- Dan's Papers Article On Karl GrossmanOpens in a new tab
- Karl Grossman's Book on AmazonOpens in a new tab
- Opens in a new tab
SOME PAST GUESTS ON THE HEALTHY PLANET RADIO SHOW
- Eric Adams, Brooklyn Borough President, Four-Term State Senator, Retired Police Captain
- Dr Michael Klaper, author, diet & health expert of Moving Medicine Forward
- Neal D. Barnard, M.D. of the Physician’s Committee For Responsible Medicine
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of Disease-Proof Your Child and many more.
- Thomas Falcone, Chief Executive Officer of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA)
- Gavin A. Schmidt, climatologist, Director NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Climate Scientist
- T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., author of The China Study
- Terry Tamminen, author of Lives Per Gallon
- Randall S. Abate, author of Climate Change And The Voiceless, inaugural Rechnitz Family Endowed Chair in Marine and Environmental Law and Policy and a Professor in the Department of Political Science and Sociology
- Todd Winant, author of Earth Voice, Food Choice
- David Doniger, Senior Strategic Director Climate & Clean Energy Program Natural Resources Defense Council
- Caldwell B. Esselstyn, MD, author of Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Adrienne Esposito, Co-Founder Citizens Campaign For The Environment
- Karen Ranzi, author of Creating Healthy Children Through Attachment Parenting and Raw Foods
- Zoltan Rona, MD, MSc, author of Vitamin D: The Sunshine Vitamin
- Gordian Raacke of Renewable Energy Long Island,
- Brian Clement of The Hippocrates Institute
- Paul Getsos, National Director of the People’s Climate Movement
- Karen Perry Stillerman, senior analyst, in the Food and Environment Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists
- Jonathan Balcombe, Biologist, Author & Director of Animal Sentience, the Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy
- Chuck Kutscher, Center Director, Buildings and Thermal Systems at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- David Goldston, The Director of Government Affairs for the Natural Resources Defense Council
- Karen Davis, PhD Founder and President of United Poultry Concerns
- Janice Nolen, Assistant Vice President, National Policy for the American Lung Association
- Alex Beauchamp, Food & Water Watch’s Northeast Region Director
- Brigitte Mars, author of The Home Reference to Holistic Health and Healing, and many more
- Will Tuttle, visionary educator and author of The World Peace Diet
- Gerald Iversen, founder of Simple Living Works
- Hope Bohanec, author of The Ultimate Betrayal: Is There Happy Meat?
- Brenda Davis, RD, author, past chair Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- David Robinson Simon, author Meatonomics: The Bizarre Economics of Meat and Dairy
- Robin Helfritch, Founding Director of Open the Cages Alliance and the Vegan Living Program
- Julie M. Simon, author The Emotional Eater’s Repair Manual
- Vesanto Melina, RD, nutrition expert, co-author of Becoming Raw and the Raw Food Revolution Diet and many more
- Michael Greger, MD, author, internationally recognized speaker of NutritionFacts.org
- Dawn Moncrief, Founder and Executive Director of the non-profit organization, A Well-Fed World
- Jeff Gohringer, National Press Secretary of the League of Conservation Voters
- Carol Murphy, Executive Director of the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY)
- Dr. Steve Blake, author of Understanding Dietary Fats and Oils: A Scientific Guide to their Health Effects, and 28 other books
- Justin Van Kleek, freelance writer, educator, community organizer.
- Demosthenes Maratos, Sustainability Institute Communications Director
- Paul Gallay, Riverkeeper’s Executive Director and Hudson Riverkeeper
- Bill Freese, Center for Food Policy’s Science Policy Analyst
- Michael Parrish DuDell, Managing Editor of ecomagination.com
- Dr Alan Goldhamer, founder of the TrueNorth Health Center, author of The Health Promoting Cookbook and many more
- Mike Hudak, Enviro Advocate, author Western Turf Wars: The Politics of Public Lands Ranching
- Tim VanOrden, elite athlete and creator of the Running Raw Project
- Brett Cotter, Founder, CEO Stress is gone, LLC
- Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D., senior nutritionist The Cancer Project, co-author The Cancer Survivor’s Guide
- Michael Weber, Farm Animal Reform Movement Campaign Coordinator
- Steve Meyrowitz, The Sproutman, author of many books
- Nneka Leiba, Environmental Health Researcher for the Environmental working group
- Paul McRandal, National Resources Defense Council
- Barbara Loe Fisher, Co-Founder and President of the National Vaccine Information Center
- Ryan Zinn, the National Campaign Coordinator for the Organic Consumer Association
Ashok Gupta, senior energy economist and director of NRDC’s Air and Energy Program
Justin Van Kleeck, community organizer. Founder the Triangle Chicken Advocates microsanctuary
- Connie Spence, founder of The Vegan Justice League
- Eric Weltman, senior organizer Food and Water Watch
- Cate Rodgers, The Climate Reality Project
- Sarah Anker, Suffolk County Legislator
- William McKeever, Author Emperors Of The Deep: Sharks–The Ocean’s Most Mysterious, Most Misunderstood, & Most Important Guardians
- Jay Best, environmental scientist and engineer, founder and president of Green Team Long Island
- Dhar Jamail, award-winning journalist & author The End of Ice: Bearing Witness and Finding Meaning in the Path of Climate Disruption.
- Dr. Sailesh Rao, Founder/Exec. Director Climate Healers, Author two books, Producer of Cowspiracy, What the Health & Others.
- Brendan DeMelle, Executive Director DeSmog
- Lauren Ornelas, Founder/President, Food Empowerment Project
- Rob Herring, Producer/Director of The Need To Grow film
- Robyn Engman, R.D. Registered Dietician and Trained Chef with Nutrition In Motion
Marisa Miller Wolfson, Film creator, long time activist and co-author of the book, Vegucated Family Table
- Ali Tabrizi, Film Director Seaspiracy
- Joel Levin, Executive Director, Plug In America
Hear The Healthy Planet Radio Show twice monthly at 6PM, with Bob DiBenedetto on the first and second Friday of each month, on WUSB, 90.1FM, or Live Stream at: http://wusb.fm/
Free of charge, and rich with information and inspiration!
The Healthy Planet Radio show focuses on topics that will help to educate you about the deep connection among all life on Earth, and the powerful effects your everyday choices can have on creating a clean, healthy and compassionate world.
Listen, learn, grow, join us in making a difference!